Send a message

What is an ITIN and how to get it

The ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a personal taxpayer code in the United States. It is issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is provided to all foreigners and other individuals who are required to report taxes and file income tax returns. ITIN can be considered an equivalent to SSN (Social Security Number). The difference is that ITIN is issued to non-residents who are subject to U.S. taxation requirements and are not eligible to obtain an SSN.

What is an ITIN and how to get it

Posted 31 October 2023


Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

Starting at 8 weeks

Taxpayers in the USA without the right to obtain an SSN

5 years after issuance (renewable)

Thinking about business in this country?

Schedule your free consultation with our expert!


Diane, partner of GFLO Consultancy

General information

Individuals who are required to file tax returns in the United States include temporary and permanent residents living in the U.S., as well as dependents or the spouse of a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident alien, etc.

W-7 form

To apply for an ITIN, you must complete the W-7 form. The W-7 form is only filled out if the Social Security Administration informs you that a Social Security Number (SSN) cannot be issued to you. This is important because, by law, an individual cannot possess both an ITIN and an SSN simultaneously. When submitting the W-7 form, you must attach your most recent federal tax return and certified documents that prove the identity of a non-resident taxpayer. You can apply for an ITIN with the assistance of our GFLO Consultancy experts or do it independently on the IRS website.

The average processing time for ITIN issuance is approximately 8 weeks. After this period, you will receive a letter from the IRS with your assigned ITIN, which will be valid for 5 years from the date of issuance and can be renewed when necessary.

GFLO Consultancy experts are pleased to assist and help you with any inquiries, just get in touch or leave a request through the form right below.


Let’s check if your Russian ADRs/GDRs can be converted!

When were your Russian ADRs obtained?
What is the total cost of your DRs?

Request an estimate of the registration cost in the USA

Additional services:

GFLO office (optional)



Schedule a free consultation

Diane, partner of GFLO Consultancy